Current Position: Austrian Institute of Economic Research (WIFO)
Education: Doctorate in Economics (WU Vienna University of Economics and Business)
- Public Finance and Public Sector Economics
- Public Procurement
- Political Economy
- Applied Econometrics
Current Working Papers:
- Michael Klien and Phuong Tra Tran (2014): Public-Private Partnerships in France: Who, Why and Why not?
- Michael Klien and Mickael Melki (2013): Does Electoral Turnout Affect the Intergenerational Conflict over the Provision of Public Education?
- Lisa Chever and Michael Klien (2013): The Direct and Indirect Effect of Safety Regulation on Quality: a Cautionary Tale from the French « Robien Law ».
- Eshien Chong, Michael Klien and John Moore (2013): Do politicians procure their way to Congress? An empirical analysis of public procurement and elections.
- Eshien Chong , Michael Klien and Stéphane Saussier (2013): The quality of governance and the use of negotiated procedures: Some (un)-surprising evidence from the European Union.
- Michael Klien (2013): The Dynamics of the Political Budget Cycle: An empirical examination of municipal spending in Austria.
- Michael Klien (2012): Timing tariff increases over the electoral cycle: An empirical investigation of political decision making.
- Michael Klien (2014): Tariff increases over the electoral cycle: A question of size and salience. Forthcoming in European Journal of Political Economy. DOI 10.1060/j.ejpolecon.2014.08.004.
- Michael Klien (2014): The political side of public utilities: How opportunistic behaviour and yardstick competition shape water prices in Austria. Forthcoming in Papers in Regional Science. DOI 10.1111/pirs.12101.
- Michael Klien (2013): Corporatization and the Behavior of Public Firms: How Shifting Control Rights Affects Political Interference in Water Prices. Forthcoming in Review of Industrial Organization. DOI 10.1007/s11151-013-9401-0.
- Michael Klien (2012): Institutional and Political Aspects of Public Infrastructure Provision. Doctoral Thesis, WU Vienna University of Economics and Business.
- Markus Leibrecht, Michael Klien and Oezlem Onaran (2011): Globalization, welfare regimes and social protection expenditures in Western and Eastern European countries . Public Choice, 148(3), 569-595.